Wild Card


For this week I decided to try and make one of my favorite dishes to get when I go out to an Italian restaurant and that happens to be carbonara pasta. When looking up recipes I was excited to see that they were relatively simple and that it would be easy for me to make this dish again and again. For this version I used this recipe as a reference. 
Ingredients:
Chopped bacon, minced garlic, 2 Eggs, shredded parmesan cheese, and spaghetti

Process:

1. Mince garlic and chop up bacon

2. Start boiling the spaghetti then whisk eggs and cheese in a bowl for the sauce. Making sure to time it so pasta is al dente.



3. Fry bacon in a saute pan on medium high heat for about 8 minutes then add the minced garlic for and cook for one minute and reduce heat.


4. Drain pasta and replace it in pot then adding the cheese sauce and bacon/garlic mix into the pot while stirring to coat the pasta in the sauce as well as the grease from the bacon.


5. Serve and garnish with oregano, salt, and pepper.


Reflections:
Many other recipes I looked at said to add the pasta to the frying pan as a way to finish the dish and the recipe I mostly followed did as well. I avoided doing that instead opting to not fully drain the pasta and by adding it back to the pot and combining ingredients in there instead. I did that for a couple of reasons. 1. I was worried that the egg in the cheese sauce would turn into scrambled eggs if I put it in the saute pan. 2. The saute pan didn't look big enough to hold everything and allow me to stir it vigorously so that all the pasta got coated.
I think I did the right thing because this simple dish turned out great! I think next time I might try to add broccoli or some other veggie to give the dish a little more color.

Comments