Culture week

For this blog post featuring a dish derived from another culture I decided to try and make a curry dish similar to what is made in India. To do this I had to make my own curry powder instead of buying curry paste from the store which is what many online recipes recommend. To make my own powder I read this blog post for a resource on how to do so and as a guide for measurements.
Mix Ingredients:
Chili Powder, Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Garlic powder, and Black pepper


Next up was to prep all the things I would cook in the curry for veggies I went with red and yellow bell peppers, onions, potatoes, cauliflower, and broccoli. 


Once the veggies were cut it was time to start cooking the chicken breast. I coated the chicken in the pan with about 1/2 of the powder mix deciding to add the rest when I added the vegetables.


When the chicken had finished cooking I started to add the veggies to the pan and ran into a problem. I found out that the saute pan I was using was not big enough to fit all my ingredients and cook them thoroughly. The picture below shows the pot I had to transfer to in order to finish the cooking process. After much stirring to make sure all the veggies were cooked I added the rest of the powder and the coconut milk (16oz) I let the curry sit on a low simmer for 10 minutes like this to allow the veggies and chicken to finish fully cooking and so that the flavors could combine.



The final product! I ladled the curry onto a bowl of brown rice which gave the dish a good starchy backbone and a vehicle to soak up some of the coconut milk. 

Reflections:
Next time I make this recipe I'll definitely start in a bigger pan
Because of my screw up only about half the potatoes were cooked to the softness I would have liked so next time I may add them earlier to allow them more time to cook.
Might try and make it spicier by using hotter chili powder for the curry powder mix. 

Comments